Sunday, May 4, 2008






I'm crushed. And also ashamed and conflicted. I call myself an animal lover. I love tradition, I love horses. But after yesterday, I wonder about horse racing, and whether these young horses are pushed beyond their limits. Having had a Thoroughbred, I know that these animals do have the desire to race at breathtaking speeds- naturally. But after the demise of Barbaro and the tragedy yesterday of Eight Belles, I think that more needs to be done to protect them and to ensure that they are brought along in a healthy and safe manner. I'm still a big fan of Equine Sports and even racing, if all precautions are taken before, during, and after the race.
We had my party, we celebrated the tradition of the Kentucky Derby, and celebrated the short but brilliant career of the filly, Eight Belles. But it might be the last Derby Day for me.
To Eight Belles...

3 comments:

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Best party I have been to in a long time..terrific hosts and terrific people!!! Fogeddabout the decorations and Derby hats people were sporting...truly an event I will be looking forward to annually!!! Standing by for the next invite..Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I agree. I love to watch the Kentucky Derby and I love the horses. Such beautiful creatures. But it is really sad what happened and seems to be happening more and more... It does sound like a great party though!

Dede Warren said...

I'm with you on this one. Such a hard, difficult thing to figure out... to support or not. I'm still not sure where I stand. I love the horses and want the best for them, such beautiful creatures.